ModKid meets Alexander Henry

I’m not lying when I say that I love Patty‘s patterns. The styles are so fun and hip, and the clothes sew up so nicely. I’m never disappointed by the results and Miss L always loves wearing them.

About a year ago, I tried to bring home Patty’s prototype for the Sydney hooded tunic but was foiled. Lucky for me that I can now make one whenever I want — and I’m expecting there to be plenty in L’s closet before too long.

Now, this particular Sydney was made as a sample for the shop but I did let my sweetie wear it before I dropped it off. The two main fabrics are by Alexander Henry and I have to say that I love them just as much now as I did when Sarah ordered them at Market in May. Bright, fun, bold — all the things I love. The green dot is actually one of Paula‘s from Summer Soiree. A few of those prints actually look really good with the AH line but the dots won out for me. Why? Because I have a polka dot fixation. (The green corduroy pants, BTW, were a Carter’s purchase and a perfect match.)

I did make one change to the construction of the tunic and that was sewing the front facing over the hood so that the front edge of the hood ends up between the facing and the tunic. I think it makes for a nice, clean line in the front of the tunic and no serged seams to show if the neckline flips open. If you want to try this yourself, follow the directions for attaching and turning the facing but skip topstitching the opening as well as basting the facing to the neckline. Then when you attach the hood, pin the facing so the hood is between it and the tunic, with the wrong side of the facing on the outside of the shirt. Clip the corner and turn the facing back to the inside of the top before topstitching around the hood and the shirt’s V.

I don’t think it took me more than two or three hours to sew it up, and part of that was because I got caught up in the TV show I had on while I was sewing. (Shhh! I have an unhealthy addiction to the SoapNet’s repeats of Beverly Hills, 90210!)

Summer Tunic

There were a few projects from Weekend Sewing that made my must-sew list but after seeing Jona‘s take, the tunic jumped to the top of my list.

I grabbed a few yards of this pretty floral from the clearance bin at the shop and went to work on a wearable muslin. I altered the sleeves and made them about three-quarter length with a ruffled cuff. I also added a little length because I like a bit more coverage in the mid section.

There are a few things I’ll change the next time I make this. The first: Sew a smaller size. I rarely err on the side of too large but this was one of those cases. In fact, even my older son told me it was too big and would look cuter if it were smaller.

I also made the gap in the yoke too wide so there was no stitching it closed without creating a goofy looking pucker in the front of the top. It’s OK on this one, which will be my to-the-pool-and-back top this summer, but I’ll be sure to actually measure and draw a line on the next one instead of eyeballing it.

The top came together pretty easily and I’m looking forward to sewing another and getting lots of use from it.