Coming Soon…

I find it nearly impossible to accomplish much of anything crafty from Thanksgiving until the new year. There’s just so much on my plate and then the kids are home more, so I just don’t seem to get much done. This year’s time crunch coincided with another crafty slump, which was a little discouraging, because I actually had the time and desire to make something — I just couldn’t get motivated.

After spending most of a day cleaning up my studio (the clutter tends to adversely affect my crafting), I decided to run over to the shop and pick up some new fabric I’d been admiring and a new quilt pattern to go with it. The new V&A line from David Textiles had me all ga-ga at Market, so I picked out a few fat quarters of it along with some of Tula Pink’s Parisville and a couple of shot cottons. I thought all of it was perfect for the Coming Soon… pattern by Thimble Blossoms, which is actually meant to be a baby blanket but I’m thinking it’s a nice size for a throw.

This is really my kind of pattern: quick, cute and easy. I did make an error in cutting and had to add a couple more of the green-and-cream strips in the middle of piecing but that wasn’t a big deal. I’m toying with the idea of pulling off the border and making a wider one, which is something Sarah suggested. And I still need to pick out a backing fabric (leaning towards flannel or Minky/Minkee) but I’m pretty sure I’m going to bind it with the green.

One thing I will do is orient the quilt differently. I used directional fabric so all my books and wine bottles are sideways! LOL!

Working Through

After two days of not sewing, I was starting to go a bit stir crazy. I did a bunch of pattern tracing Saturday night (including a jacket for me and about a dozen things for Miss L), which made me eager to sew even more.

I finally caved Sunday afternoon. Honey was still playing golf. There was nothing on TV worth watching. And I really needed to take a break from the computer. I grabbed Butterick 4910, a yard of flannel and got to work.

I’d wanted to make this gown with long sleeves but only had a yard — and had already ironed it — so I chopped off the sleeves. I think they turned out fine.

The pattern sewed up quickly and I’m happy with the results. Boy, I really wondered when I’d get to say that again! LOL! In all honesty, I could have skipped buying this pattern. I have a couple of peasant dresses/tops already in my pattern collection, as well as the ability to draft my own. But I do like the pattern. Since it’s a Big Three, I opted to size down and that was a good call. I have a good bit more flannel in my stash and can see making a few of these, as well as some of the two-piece sets, for my girl to wear in the cooler months to come.