An Apron For April

When my niece was here before Christmas, I had the chance to hang out with her and play with her. One of the things I noticed was that she repeatedly donned one of Miss L’s aprons.

Before she left, I asked her favorite color (purple) and told her I would make her something special for her birthday.

Her birthday is next week and this sweet little apron will soon be heading her way. The fabric is some cute stuff I picked up at Joann’s that I just couldn’t resist (pink! birds! purple!). I embroidered her name on it, because I thought it would be even cuter and more personal that way. Plus I have the embroidery machine, so why not?

The pattern is the Lolita Apron from Sew Liberated (formerly Montessori By Had) and really very cute. Sewing it, however, is another story. For your own reference, if you dislike sewing on binding, this is not the apron pattern for you. And I really don’t enjoy that task. In fact, I bought this pattern even though I despise sewing on binding, which might make you wonder what the heck I was thinking. Hello! Three gazillion yards of binding on this apron! I wasn’t sure I’d ever finish with it.

Obviously I did and the results are seriously cute. But I can’t imagine sewing another one like this. I may try the pattern again and modify it to sew without all the binding. Or I may just sell the pattern and chalk it up to another learning experience. Regardless, my foray into sewing miles of binding is O-V-E-R.

One Apron, Two Looks

I had the chance today to not only break in my new sewing machine but also a new pattern: the Emmeline apron from Montessori by Hand. I’ve really been eager to do it, but had a tough time finding fabrics in my stash that would work. I easily could have bought any of a number of fabrics but decided that it was best to cull from what I already own. Sometimes, that’s easier said than done.

While I often buy fabrics with coordinates, I rarely buy more than two fabrics for me. It took several tries to find three fabrics that worked together. I think it turned out pretty well:

I’m calling it my Proper & Punky Emmeline. The black-and-white fabric is Michael Miller’s Dandy Damask. I think the polka dot also is from MM, but couldn’t swear to it. The funky red fabric is from Joann’s; I bought it last year with the intention of making a punk-style Valentine’s outfit for Miss L but went in another direction.

Gotta say that I really had fun making this apron. The directions were easy to follow, although I did machine-stitch on the binding/halter straps instead of hand stitching them. Definitely faster, even if it’s not as pretty. I can definitely see wearing this apron on a regular basis (I am right now, actually).

Tomorrow’s another Word-free Wednesday and I’m planning to show a snippet of my current project. It’s quite sweet, if I do say so myself.