Summer Whites

It’s taken me a while to get around to sewing the Portabello Pixie Analise but I finally got to it this week and whipped up a sweet summery dress for Miss L.

I picked up the fabric from Joann’s after fondling it over the course of several trips to thte store. (Don’t act like you don’t do the same thing.) I bought it even though I wasn’t quite sure what I’d do with it, although I had an inkling that it would make a lovely dress. It’s a little tough to see here but the fabric is criss-crossing pintucks with criss-crossing pieces of white lace. (Here’s a close up.) Just a very sweet and feminine fabric.

I lucked out in buying yardage for this dress. Seriously. I had just enough to make it. Although I did use a plain white Egyptian cotton for the straps (also for the bodice lining). I just thought that would be more comfortable than the lace right against her skin. (See the back of the dress here.)

One thing I didn’t realize about the fabric until it was too late: the lace is polyester. Which meant my very hot iron melted it when I was pressing one piece. Fortunately, it was a very small area that’s pretty much hidden, but definitely something I paid attention to during the rest of the garment construction process.

I skipped adding a binding to the hem and just did a minimal turned hem for it. If I weren’t so lazy, I probably would have done a hem facing (and French seams) because the fabric really seems to call for more of an heirloom-sewing approach. But I really wanted to get it done so I took the easy way out.

The finished dress will be perfect to wear to her brother’s high school graduation in a couple of weeks, and then maybe for some other special days this summer (don’t ask me what; I have no clue). And maybe for her very late 4-year portraits …

Fabric by Mail

Just a little fabric postcard I made with some leftovers from my Shop Hop Wallflower quilt.

I foundation pieced it with some batting, then did some topstitching to “quilt” the postcard. The green lace is from J. Caroline Creative and has been hanging out in my stash maybe two years.

I sewed it to a postcard Sarah gave out in the Shop Hop goodie bags, then used the pinking blade on my rotary cutter to trim it all up.

It’s so cute, I’m thinking I should organize a fabric postcard swap …

This Makes Five

Another one checked off my Try It! list! Can a get a wooohooo?

I spent Mothers Day parked in front of my sewing machine (more or less) and this is one of the projects I cranked out. It looks a little sloppy because I need to mount it on the canvas (it’s just taped down right now), so please excuse the not-quite-straight lines and floppy corners.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous about venturing into the world of quilting. I have trouble following directions and the one thing I’m getting about quilting is that it’s vital to be precise. But I thought it out and worked at a reasonable pace, and this is what I created.

No pattern, no directions, just some fabric, trims, photo paper and cotton batting. I used the blank stitch on my sewing machine to sew down the pink panel; I think it’s pretty cool. The photo I tacked down with a straight stitch before adding the trim around the edges. In retrospect, I wish I had used a fusible adhesive first so it would stay nice and flat.

I was a little nervous about the corners, since each of the border pieces overlap. I spent a while trying to figure out that one and ended up leaving a bit of seam allowance open on the first one so I could get the last edge lined up there and that did the trick. (The crochet lace at the top and bottom are sewn in between the pieces.

Really happy with the results and I’m probably even more excited about taking it into the quilt shop this week to show it off.