Tag: japanese fabric

Sewing Japanese

There are times when I pick up a fabric and just know what it wants to be. This gorgeous cotton sateen from Lecien (Atelier Akiko) was just begging to be made into something from one of my Japanese sewing books. Something feminine, with clean lines that would really showcase the fabric.

Now that it’s done, I look at the dress and know my instincts were right on.

The pattern was from this book, which I’ve sewn from before but it’s been a while. I forgot to add a seam allowance to the straps of the bodice, which made turning it right-side out a little challenging. At one point, I seriously feared that I’d ripped the fabric. Fortunately, I was mistaken but I was holding my breath for a few minutes there.

I could not find the skirt bottom or the pocket on the pattern sheet, but based on the instructions I was pretty certain both pieces were supposed to be sort of self drafted. I fussy-cut some of the border print near the selvage for the top of the pocket (which is hard to see in the picture — my model was not being super cooperative that day). You’ll just have to take my word for it that there’s a sweet little hand-drawn bow near the top edge of the pocket.

Now to wait for spring so this sweet little dress can get some use!

Sew Sweet

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind thoughts sent my way. I’m happy to say that I’m feeling much better and looking forward to getting back into the swing of things today and through the rest of the weekend. So let’s get back to a little crafty talk, shall we?

We’re off to see the wizard! A friend asked if I could pull this together for her daughter. How could I say no? She ordered the Wizard of Oz fabric from Superbuzzy (oh, how I love that place!). The dress is the Farbenmix Marieke. It’s the first time I’ve made it with both pockets but I think the red needed a little breaking up. It’s also been lengthened, since the sweetie who’ll be wearing it is tall. The polka dot is Jason Yenter for In the Beginning; I think it’s my new favorite dot. Before I received the Oz fabric, I’d thought I’d do a full lining with peekaboo underskirt. It’s such a heavy fabric, though, that I feared too many layers would make the dress uncomfortably heavy (and warm) for a little girl.

This little outfit is the one I was working on Tuesday. It evolved from this one made for Miss L. When I was asked about revamping the top, I immediately knew the above style was more suited for the future wearer. (I’m fortunate to have seen many a picture of this little girl over the past few years.) I did a quick sketch, sent it to the mom and got to work.

I tell you, it’s quite different to sew for a size 5 than a size 2! Lots more fabric — necessitated not only by the size but the style. The halter dress is nearly three full yards of fabric. In comparison, L’s peasant top is about a yard. I think the bottom ruffle turned out to be more than 200 inches of fabric! I’ll be making only one more of these sets, this one a duplicate of the original, which will use up the last bits of my pretty embroidered cream fabric. It’s one of my backburner projects, though, since it’s not needed in its new home until May.

In the meantime, I have quite a bit to keep me busy: a couple of orders from my Etsy shop (cut out and ready to sew! Go, me!), a couple of apron orders from a friend, some Try It! projects and a stack of fun things I’m itching to start working on. Oh, the fun we’re going to have here on ye olde Craft Addict blog!

Hey — if you are in the Atlanta area, you don’t want to miss this weekend’s Shop Hop! It’s going on now and there are some great giveaways to be had. It’s a really fun annual event and a great way to get around to all of the area’s fabulous quilt shops. I may or may not have done a little “hopping” myself today. (Shhhh! Fabric’s in the wash!)