The Kindergartener-to-Be

I decided yesterday that Miss L needed something new to wear when I took her to register for Kindergarten.

Today.

Yes, the last of my babies will be off to school this Fall. Bittersweet, for sure, but it’s hard to look at this face and not share a bit of her excitement. We pass the elementary school every day on our way to her preschool and she never fails to point it out on our travels.

I needed something bright and cheery to match her mood, and these new Michael Miller fabrics were just the thing. I swooned over them when Sarah was considering ordering them for the shop. As soon as they came in, I started buying pieces of the collection. (I think I’m up to six different prints. Shhhh!)

The top is one of my favorite patterns, the ModKid Frida. I’ve been intending to sew another (actually have the fabric for three others!) but just haven’t gotten around to it until now. I made the 4/5 again and actually planned to make a dress — right up until I realized that I didn’t have enough of the hedgehogs to make that happen. Whoops! I lopped off the bottom of the pattern an inch at a time until I could make it work. Obviously I was planning a shirt when I bought the yardage.

I did make the hem band a little more narrow than the pattern called for, just to change it up a bit. The bodice and sleeves are lined with the same fabric as the exterior, since I actually did buy enough of that.

The hat is a new pattern for me, the Izzy n Ivy Jack and Jill. I ran into a little problem but the awesome Jana of Izzy n Ivy saw my tweet and gave me just the info I needed to finish it up. I may have modified the hat a little, too, but mostly that was because it was getting late (I finished up about 11 p.m. Wednesday night) and I’m relatively lazy when it comes to some parts of the construction process.

The ruffled capri jeans are another of my recycled too-short pants projects. They really are an awesome way to use up something that no longer fits in length but is just fine in the waist. Also? Super fast. You know how I love me some fast projects.

As always, the true test was L’s reaction to the outfit. See that face? That is the face of a happy customer, for sure. So happy was she, in fact, that the outfit had to go with us to gymnastics this afternoon so she could put it all back on before we left. (Usually she’s happy to wear her leotard home.)

A Test Drive With Patty & Frida

Days Two-Four of this week’s pattern-testing binge is all about the new Mod Kid Sewing Patterns by Patty Young. Of course, I’ve only sewn two out of three things and have been laid up today with the rotten cold Miss L shared with me, so Day Four may be Friday. Or Saturday.

Anyway …

I broke my personal fabric-buying rules when I picked up the Sprites of Tillbrook: I had no idea what I was going to make with it, but I bought it anyway. When I started looking through my stash for fabrics to use when pattern testing Frida, I just knew the Tillbrook would be awesome. And I think I was right!

Do you know how it is when you get an idea for something and then make it, and it’s even better than you’d imagined? Well, that’s kind of how I feel about this dress. I am so happy with how it turned out! I’m working on the headscarf (it’s about half done) but I used the same floral fabric from the bodice for it and I think I’m using the mushrooms for the ties.

I like how easily the pattern comes together and I’m happy with the fit. I sized up a tad bit so Liesl could wear this all summer. I think I might make the next dress a little longer, just because she’s so tall in proportion to her girth.

I’m already plotting what fabrics to use for the next one of these I sew. I think I’m going to do the tunic with a pair of shorts. And definitely more pockets — the little miss loves her some pockets and these are a nice size for holding all of her treasures.