Tag: Andalucia

Tulip Time

This bag-making stuff might be getting out of hand. But it’s kind of my go-to project when I want to make something, don’t have much time and/or fabric or just want to make something useful.

I got my hands on some of Patty Young’s revamped Andalucia and could not wait to play. I’d been planning to make the Tulip Tote from Sew Serendipity Bags and it seemed like the perfect match.

Tulip Tote

Even with the quilting, the bag came together pretty quickly. Unfortunately, my chalk lines are not coming off as easily as they went on, so I’m afraid I’ll have orange diagonal lines on this tote forever.

The picture in the book makes this bag look bigger than it is, although the dimensions are the same as the finished size accompanying the pattern. It’s a good size, not too big or too small. I like the addition of a firmer bottom. I swapped out the magnetic snap closure for the last of my flat magnetic (hidden) closures. Man, I love those things. (Note to self: go order more.)

I totally lucked out with the curtain grommets. They were on clearance at Joann and a total steal at…$3 for a pack of eight!

Author Kay Whitt included this bag in the “more challenging” section but I think it’s worth a look for an advanced beginner looking for something new to try.

Andalucia Warm

Six weeks of the winter blahs — compounded by some kinda stressful personal stuff — has meant that I’ve had a hard time getting motivated to do much of anything. Including sewing. That seems to be changing and I’ve spent more time sewing in the past few days than I probably have since right before Christmas.

Among my favorite new projects is this sweet Andalucia blanket. It’s from a pattern by Seams & Dreams, the Sleep-Away Quilt. I’ve been itching to sew with Patty‘s new line of fabric for Michael Miller (Sarah just got in the whole line!), so when Miss L latched onto it, I knew it’d be a great choice for the pattern.

The pattern isn’t particularly complicated and I finished the whole thing in about a day (spread out over two). I really haven’t done any actual quilting, so I opted to hand-tie this one instead of experimenting. I like the effect and definitely the speed of hand tying. The binding was easier than I expected, although it made my hand cramp up to stitch it down on the back side. I’m planning to make more of these for gifts and I think future ones will just be done blanket style instead of bound for expediency.

It’s a pretty gender-neutral style, so it’s going to be easy to change it up with fabric and make one more suited for the boys in my life. I think it’d look super cute with the new Robots fabric by David Walker. (Hmmmmm. One more to add to my project list! LOL!)

The pockets are stitched on after the blanket is done, so the stitching shows through on the right side. I thought it would bother me more than it does, but you may not feel the same way. I think the finished product is super cute and it’s definitely a hit with the little miss, who insists on using it constantly.

It did bug me a little that the binding instructions weren’t included with the pattern. Instead, it refers to the Seams & Dreams website for directions on how to attach the binding. A minor annoyance but when I’ve dropped $10 on a pattern I kind of expect everything I need to be included and accessible at my sewing table. It’s a very minor complaint, though, and I’m overall quite happy with the purchase and the final product.