My MacBook is home!
I was finally able to drive up to the shop* to pick it up. The tech booted it up for me as he closed out my work order and I did a quick check to see what could be recovered from the old hard drive. Sadly, not as much as I’d hoped. From what I can tell, I’ve lost:
- all my sewing patterns PDFs;
- an entire month of photographs (including J’s final cross-country race and Miss L’s birthday party); I FOUND THEM!! They were saved to a totally different place on my hard drive but they are HERE!!!
- my photography files, including actions (many of which were not free), notes, etc.;
- the past five years of tax returns (electronic versions);
- ALL my work files, including interviews, notes, research and final stories, from the past 18 months — including things I’ve yet to publish.
I can’t tell you how stupid I feel right about now. I really have no excuse for not having backed up all of my precious documents — especially in light of the fact that I used to manage our newsroom computer system at one of my jobs. And part of that included making sure backups were run on tape nightly.
I’ve always had to learn things the hard way. Now to start shopping for an external hard drive for backing up the Macadoo …
*Outstanding experience with these folks. Great customer service and fast turnaround time. Two thumbs up!