I finally took my own advice and just did it.
I’ve spent most of this evening working on a top for my daughter, using the most beautiful Fresh Cut fabric. I had sketched an outfit for her months ago and when I saw the fabric, I knew it was a perfect match.
I sketched the pattern idea that I had after measuring L. Measure, draw, measure again, re-draw. I finally had something I thought would work, drew it onto some Pattern Ease and used it to create a bodice part from some leftover fabric. Tweaked the pattern and then used it to cut my real bodice pieces.
The realities of creating the outfit, however, are a little less fairytale-ish. I ripped out the seams — this one and that one — about six times, maybe more. Trying to figure out the best way to assemble it proved quite challenging for me. Accidentally yanking out the elastic did not help things.
Eventually, I figured it out and got it sewn up quite nicely. More or less. I ran out of the matching thread, so no topstitching until I make a thread run — and since I’m on deadline for the magazine, it likely won’t happen until this weekend.
Oh, well. I can occupy myself with making the coordinating pants until then.