I’m really into my commitment to sewing more of my wardrobe. It’s gotten me excited to try new things and — if course — picking out the perfect fabrics.
One of the items near the top of my list was Cashmerette’s Harrison button-down shirt. I considered a lot of shirt patterns. This won out because of the beautiful seam lines and cut. I knew it was a style that’s flattering on me and could be a great staple.
A muslin was a must so I started with some fabric from my stash that I save for such occasions. The sizing was spot on! No changes necessary. Well, that would not have been the case if I’d made a sleeve. But I didn’t and the sleeve is a hair more snug in the upper arm than I’d like.
After the muslin, I cut into the beautiful Regent Street lawn I’d gotten specifically for this shirt. It’s so pretty and has a great hand. Perfect for a tailored shirt.
I really took my time on this shirt. There was some unsewing and a fair amount of hand sewing (not called for in the pattern — I just preferred it). And there was one really unfortunate curve clipping incident that required re-cutting and sewing the collar and collar stand. Totally worth it.
In spite of all the care in construction, I still managed to mess up the buttonholes: they’re sewn horizontally instead of vertically. It’s a bummer but most people won’t notice. I also placed the bust apex button a little higher than it should be, which makes a wee bit of gaping possible.
Overall, though, I’m in love with this shirt. It’s comfortable and flattering, the kind of shirt I can see wearing regularly. On my next one, I plan to slash and spread the sleeve and alter the sleeve length since I rarely wear long sleeves. I also plan to fiddle with the hem a little since I’m not much for tucked in tops. And now that there’s a sleeveless shirtdress option, I can see making even more of these for my wardrobe.